A Reimagined Gina Wilkinson Prize for 2021
Toronto, ON, December 2, 2020 — For the past ten years, the Gina Wilkinson Prize has honoured female artists transitioning from one theatre discipline to that of directing. For 2021, Gina's Prize is moving forward by reimagining the award to recognize female identifying artists who place community and new creation models at the heart of their artistic leadership.
Gina’s Prize is awarded annually, offering financial support to a female identifying theatre artist/leader who is exploring new models of storytelling in the diverse and culturally specific theatre communities in what is now known as Canada.
- A prize of $5,000 will be awarded to the winning artist.
- A prize of $1,000 will be awarded to each of three shortlisted artists.
All artists who experience the world as women are eligible for Gina’s Prize. Artists must also be Canadian citizens or have permanent resident status, as defined by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada or as a self-identifying Indigenous artist.
THE SUBMISSION PROCESS
The nomination should consist of:
1. A nomination letter from an artistic collaborator which speaks to the artists values in the work, the ways in which they create space and care for co-creators.
2. In the spirit of Gina’s interdisciplinary artistry (dancer, visual artist, actor, director, playwright) we invite nominated artists to use any platforms (written document, video vignette, photos, mixed media, movement piece or other) to share with us:
- What do you value as a theatre artist/leader and how do you embody those values in your artistic practice?
- How does your practice serve your community(-ies)?
- How are you disrupting storytelling and creation models to create your stories?
- What is your hope for future generations of theatre artists?
3. Nominated artist’s headshot and CV.
Past shortlisted artists or nominees are highly encouraged to apply for this new chapter of Gina’s Prize as your practice evolves.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT: February 1, 2021
Submissions will be accepted electronically, between December 1, 2020 and February 1, 2021 at: email@example.com.
Videos can be uploaded and shared privately through YouTube or Google Drive.
Committee co-leaders Krista Jackson and Kimberley Rampersad are available to answer any questions about the submission process. You can reach them at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The submissions will be reviewed by the Gina Prize Committee Members: Micheline Chevrier, Bonnie Green, Krista Jackson, Lindsay Lachance, Kimberley Rampersad, Tom Rooney, and Jovanni Sy.
Gina’s Prize honours artists who work across Turtle Island on both treaty and unceded territories. Through this prize, we look to acknowledge and amplify their relationship to the land they live on and the communities they serve.
For more information about the Ontario Arts Foundation:
Alan Walker, Executive Director
Ontario Arts Foundation
416-969-7413 | email@example.com
Ce document existe ègalement en français.